In 2020, we'll celebrate our 125th year of ministry in the South Hills area. During that time, Elizabeth Memorial UMC has had 34 pastors serve our congregation. The church began as a Sunday School class in 1895, meeting in a storeroom under the Odd Fellows Hall on the site of the present South HIlls fire station on Bridge Road.
In 1977 over 100 members of the congregation walked from the old church on the corner of Myrtle and Bridge roads to the new church at 108 Oakwood Road for their first worship service in the new building.
In 2005 Elizabeth Memorial began a capital funds campaign to add more classrooms and to renovate the current church building. Construction on the new addition began in the spring of 2006, and six months later Sunday School classes and the youth moved into their new rooms. Improvements continued, such as the landscaping of a memorial garden and a new stage for worship. In 2018 we added a Picnic Shelter at the end of our lot, and we installed a Little Library and Prayer Box area near the flag pole for our community to enjoy! And in 2019 we updated our playground area for our Preschool children and their friends to play.
Elizabeth Memorial looks forward to a bright future of serving the Lord Jesus Christ in the South Hills area for another 125 years!
"Go into the world and make disciples of all nations." -- Matthew 28:19